The First Shift
The Fun Starts Here!
The NHL / NHLPA FIRST SHIFT program is designed to ensure a positive experience for new-to-hockey families. We want families to experience the game at its best - to understand why so many Canadians feel an inherent love for the sport, and to stimulate a desire for continued participation. We want to take away intimidation as it relates to equipment requirements, and/or rules of the game, remove potential safety concerns, and...most importantly...provide an experience that is memorable and fun.
We believe in all that hockey has to offer kids, their families, and our communities. The NHL / NHLPA FIRST SHIFT has been designed to facilitate entry into hockey by offering a program that is ACCESSIBLE, AFFORDABLE, SAFE, and most importantly, FUN! We can not wait to help your kids fall in love with hockey.
The NHL / NHLPA FIRST SHIFT makes hockey:
- Manageable (time commitment)
A Bauer and NHL / NHLPA Initiative Supported by Guelph Minor Hockey
The First Shift program is sponsored and administered by Bauer Hockey alongside the NHL and NHLPA (NHL Players' Association).
Guelph Minor Hockey supports and operates the local First Shift program by providing ice-time and coaches.
The collaboration among all parties helps to make the First Shift an affordable and unique opportunity for kids who are interested in exploring the sport of hockey!
What is Included?
Participant registration fee includes:
- BAUER equipment (head to toe).
- Welcome Event hosted by Bauer and Guelph Minor Hockey.
- Expert fit session and equipment distribution.
- 6 weeks of on-ice experience - 1 session/week of 1 hour on a consistent day and time.
- A focus on fun and play.
45 participants (10 on-ice instructors)
Hockey Canada's On-Ice Curriculum
Hockey Canada has created a fun curriculum that focuses on:
- Small area games and active skills stations.
- A wide variety for skating skills, puck handling, passing, and shooting exercises.
- Discovering the sport through a variety of basic motor movement patterns.
- Fun games to ensure participants enjoy a full range of hockey experiences.
Praise and encouragement will serve as the foundation for the instructor's approach to working with all participants.
Visit the First Shift Website for more details and to register.